The master program in Sales Management is the first Master’s program in Europe for the field of sales. It combines know-how from top scientific research with a strong practical orientation. For example, real strategic challenges from well-known companies are provided to which the Sales Management students develop solutions. Negotiating in front of the camera with real sales professionals is also part of the program. Students in the master’s program gain deep insights into the partner companies and the professional challenges in sales management even before they graduate. In addition, our students get to know sales executives from well-known companies from the first semester onwards, enabling them to build up professional networks at an early stage. Sales Management is a specialized degree program of the Sales Management Department field of competence.
Possible in the winter and in the summer semester
- Via the Ruhr-Universtität Bochum
- Is also possible with a Transcript of Record (min. 150 ECTS)
- Summer semester: January 15
- Winter semester: July 15
- Transcript of Record deadline: January 21 (summer) or July 21 (winter)
- Summer semester: March 15
- Winter semester: September 15
- Bachelor degree in economics and/or management with a total of 180 ECTS
- 25 ECTS from the field of business administration
- 15 ECTS from the field of mathematics/statistics
Selection interview and written test
- 30-minute interview including a case study
- Tests for professional aptitude, motivation and independence
- 49% of the result is included in the admission ranking (Bachelor’s grade 51%)
- The binding dates can be found on the homepage of the Sales and Management Department
- International applicants: Proof of German language skills of at least level B2/C1. Information about which proof of language proficiency is accepted at RUB can be found here: https://studium.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/en/application-international-prospective-students
- The study program is free of charge except for the regular university social contribution.
- The study program is admission restricted
- Study places are allocated via a separate practical procedure, which we conduct together with top managers from companies. Here, your professional aptitude, motivation and independence are tested in a written test and a selection interview.
- For the coming semester (winter semester 2021/2022), the selection procedure takes place on
- Thursday, August 19th, 2021
- Interview dates are mandatory, no alternative or substitute dates can be offered!
Information about the study program
… is German (and English)
The four-semester master program consists of several subject blocks. In the first to third semesters, comprehensive knowledge of sales management is taught, taking into account industry specifics such as the B2B sector. Central contents include negotiation management, self-expression management and sales force digitalization. At the same time, students are taught scientific principles as well as the theories and methods of marketing and sales research. The curriculum is supplemented by an elective area with around 100 modules, including psychology and business administration. The curriculum includes an 8-week internship and a 2-week research internship. The master’s thesis is completed in the fourth semester.
Detailed information on the individual modules of the Sales Management Master can be found on the module overview page.
- Great freedom in the choice of modules
- International Summer & Spring School
- Compulsory internship (duration: 8 weeks)
- The possibility of a semester abroad (worldwide)
Cooperation partners of the master program Sales Management are:
- University of Notre Dame (U.S.A.)
- Loughborough University (U.K.)
- Universität St.Gallen (Switzerland)
- University of Lugano (Switzerland)
The Faculty of Management and Economics additionally has about 20 partner universities in Europe and overseas.
With a master degree in Sales Management, you can earn a doctorate.
If you have any questions about this degree programme, please contact the appropriate representative at any given time:
Who does it suit?
Those who would like to study this program,
- the ability to analyze complex issues and to work in a solution-oriented manner
- the will to put themself in the shoes of other people
- strong communicative skills
- dealing with people and independently identifying and analyzing challenges in the sales context and developing solutions for them
- acquiring methodological knowledge that is applied to practice-oriented contexts.
- The course also teaches a high degree of self-reflection: How do I affect others? How do I develop my communication skills?
graduates of the following subjects
- Business Psychology
- Business Engineering
- Business Administration
- Management &Economics, B.Sc.
- 2-subject B.A. with focus on Business Administratio
- Natural Science
- as executives in sales – nationally and internationally
- in management and leadership positions in other business areas
- in key account management
- in consulting
- in scientific sales research
I've wanted to work in sales for a long time because I think it's a very versatile and exciting field. The programme is the only one of its kind in Germany. No other university offers the combination of subjects and opportunities offered by the university and its practice partners. The degree programme is the best choice to optimally prepare for a career in sales.
For me, the Master in Sales Management was the perfect complement to my practical work in sales. The heart and soul of the SMD lecturers could be felt in every event and in every conversation. As a student, I always felt supported and challenged, both professionally and personally. Today I work as a financial planner for HORBACH Wirtschaftsberatung GmbH. Especially in the current times, it is becoming clear how digitalisation, for example, affects sales. The understanding of the change in the sales role gained in the Master's programme is therefore essential for me.
The concept of the Sales Master's with its combination of scientific concepts and a strong practical orientation was decisive for my decision. Already during my studies, I had the opportunity to gain practical experience as an intern and working student at the multi-technology group 3M in Sales Excellence and Business Development. Today, I am in charge of the business with our key accounts Audi and Porsche in the Key Account Management of 3M. If you are interested in sales management and would like to have the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of sales processes as well as exciting insights at leading companies, I recommend the Sales Management Master's programme.
You will see how valuable a degree in Sales Management really is when you start your career, because sales is simply everywhere! With its "research-teaching-practice" philosophy, the study content at SMD is not only taught in an up-close and up-to-date manner, but also provides sustainable learning through innovative courses, which I can still implement directly in my job as a salesperson for large-scale IT projects. I am grateful to the dedicated professors and the entire team for this and recommend this degree programme to anyone who likes to think "outside the box" when shaping their career path and doesn't want to stop learning!
The Sales Management Master prepared me perfectly for my career entry. The SMD has a huge network of dedicated corporate partners. They bring exciting questions from the real world, for which we students were able to find answers and work out solutions. The courses were all incredibly enriching: in small groups, for example, we worked on self-presentation or negotiation skills.
The Sales Management Master was the best decision. During our studies we dealt with many practical issues, for example in study and research projects. Here we were able to work on solutions together with companies and thus also establish contacts with the partner companies of the Sales Excellence Circle. In retrospect, I benefited greatly from these valuable contacts: I was able to start working for one of the SMD practice partners directly after completing my Master's degree. I am very grateful for the opportunities that the Sales Management Master opened up for me - and I still look forward to returning to the Sales Management Department for the Master selection days, for example, and supporting the team in its great work!
The Master's programme in Sales Management at SMD optimally prepares Bachelor's graduates with an affinity for sales for their career entry. Particularly noteworthy is the consistent focus on practice. The very dynamic environment - always with its finger on the pulse of the market - means that cutting-edge topics are constantly finding their way into teaching and research, and you notice right away: this is where the absolute heart and soul is. Personally, the broad network of well-known companies (e.g. for internships or the final thesis) and the special focus on training important soft skills helped me a lot.
I chose the Sales Master's programme not least because of the extraordinarily close and good support provided by the SMD. With three young, renowned and really motivated professors and a large chair behind them, all the lectures and seminars offered are set up in a great concept and are just as well supported; be it seminars with the cooperation partners from practice or lectures by foreign professors on current research focuses. After completing my Master's degree, I joined a medium-sized company as a junior analyst in the Sales Excellence department - there I can use my acquired knowledge profitably. What I learned made it easier for me to analyse many issues; I can look at them from different angles. Looking back, I would recommend the Master's to anyone who can identify with sales topics (the Master's is definitely not only designed for operational selling)!
The study program Sales Management belongs to the competence field SMD